Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by munroburton   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:18 am

munroburton
Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:Another thought came to me, regarding our mysterious Grand-Alliance-CO in question. What, if she had a squadron of LACs at her back? After all, since 2nd Hancock we know for sure that BCs and even BBs are legitimate prey for modern LACs. And if I remember the thoughts of the LAC-CO during the Battle of Spindle correctly, then she thought she had at least an even chance against Solly-SDs, too.
The hints, RFC gave us about speed and stealth could point in that direction, too.
The one major point which would speak against that scenario - we don't know anything about the timing. If the Sollies were first in system, then it is not very likely - after all, the arrival of a CLAC is nothing to overlook, and the Manties or Havies don't have any reason (probably) to make their translation some lightdays outside the system.

On the other hand, if the CLAC got first to the system, put its birds out and got back into hyper in time to avoid being detected by oncoming solly forces ... who knows?

A lone CLAC would be far more effective against light SLN forces even if it did not launch any LACs. The Hydra has twice the missile 'broadside' of a Roland squeezed into its hammerheads - and it's throwing three-drive MDMs, not DDMs. I imagine it has considerably more magazine depth than the Roland too, not to mention probably able to carry more limpeted pods and Mistletoe drones. Still fast enough to outrun a SLN destroyer too.

In either circumstances(who arrives first), the CLAC should be able to pummel any SLN forces with impunity until its missile magazines are dry. If the SLN force is damaged enough, then the LACs go in and finish the Sollies off - probably taking some casualties, but not as many as at Second Hancock.

Interesting twist - given its very strong anti-missile defenses, would it make sense for the CLAC to close into SLN missile range when the LACs make their attack run, in order to potentially split the SLN's missile targeting?

However, we already have confirmation that the ship defending Hypatia is specifically a destroyer. The mystery is in exactly whose destroyer it is, which class it is and of course, what ultimately happens to it.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

The scenario of a CLAC being in-system (or even just out-system having deployed up to a wing of LACs and it's CO (or the LAC Wing CO) communicating via a Hermies and recon drones makes a lot more sence. The LACs are fast, stealthy and can bring a lot of firepower to play. They litteraly can be all over the place and- to a SLN Admiral who has never encountered RMN LACs before not believed any reports they may have seen- might as well be two squadrons of stealth DD butchering their BCs.

The CLAC doesn't have to be anywhere near the actual fighting, hanging out just outside the hyperlimit with nodes hot, and rotating groups of LACs into the system to keep the pressure up and make sure that everybody comes back for resupply of missiles. For that matter, said LACs could be manuvering to be ahead of target ships and ejecting live missiles from pods ahead of or just broadside to BCs to engage the missile drives at something under point-blank range for the weapons. Remember that RMN is using FTL to update the tactical info for it's weapons with Apollo pods so the LAC can be moving to elcewhere when it's ambush is sprung.

Heck, the drone providing the targeting may provide a gravitational pulse that can be detected (not that the Sollies are getting fixes on them) but the instructions to the missiles isn't going to show where the missles are so having 8 capital ship missles at max acceleration pop-up INSIDE your CM envelope should just ruin your day.

The BCs with the best oppertunity to actualy see any of the LACs would be the ones about to get destroyed. It becomes a percentage game- can the LAC(s) kill the BC before it "sees" them AND broadcasts what it has seen before being destroyed.

How do you take on 80-90 BC's (that a lot of BCs) and not be seen?
80 to 100 current design RMN LACs towing Mk 16 or Mk 23 pods could do that. It would just take a while....big smile.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The idea of Honor talking to Kingsford is gobsmacking.

In person? It absolutely bOggles tHe mInd.

Plato sitting under Newton's tree — t-h-i-n-k-i-n-g. :idea:

Hypothesis: We need more snippets.

Proof:
In my book, these three revelations should be categorized as snippets on steroids...

Snippets on steroids.
  1. Celery hath potential to benefit bonded humans.
  2. Honor chats it up with Kingsford.
  3. IN PERSON

Corollaries:
  • snip is a subset of snippet
  • snippet > snip
  • snippet on steroid > snippet

Therefore, should we recategorize RFC's general revelations as snips?

And these...

1. Celery hath potential to benefit bonded humans.
2. Honor chats it up with Kingsford.
3. IN PERSON

as bona fide...

100 % USDA PRIME BEEF Snippets

Furthermore...

Are snips&snippets simply spoilers in disguise? (glass half empty)
or
Are spoilers simply snips&snippets in disguise? (glass half full)

It's a lemma of a dilemma that cannot be solved because of insufficient data. WE NEED MORE DATA!

Definition:
DATA = snips = snippets

∴ RFC, we need more snips and snippets. Just to help with our lemma of a dilemma, you see. For the sake of science. :D

End Proof.

What's in a name? That which we call a snippet by any other snip would thrill just as sweet.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

munroburton wrote:However, we already have confirmation that the ship defending Hypatia is specifically a destroyer. The mystery is in exactly whose destroyer it is, which class it is and of course, what ultimately happens to it.

Brigade XO wrote:The scenario of a CLAC being in-system (or even just out-system having deployed up to a wing of LACs and it's CO (or the LAC Wing CO) communicating via a Hermies and recon drones makes a lot more sence. The LACs are fast, stealthy and can bring a lot of firepower to play. They litteraly can be all over the place and- to a SLN Admiral who has never encountered RMN LACs before not believed any reports they may have seen- might as well be two squadrons of stealth DD butchering their BCs.

BXO, You're not paying attention to the clues. As Munro says, we have the initial hint that this is a "destroyer captain that rose will like."

We also have the hint that she is against worse odds that Honor faced against Thunder of God. I suspect that rules out any LAC support (and a CLAC Captian or COLAC would almost certainly be the "senior officer on station" and not relinquish command to a DD.)

We also have the implication that she's already destroyed at least one SLN BC. From that we can deduce that she's either using pods, MK16Gs (as from a Roland), or an improved LERM with the same warhead lensing as a MK-16G.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a RHN Destroyer with improved Havenite LERMs and a whole lot of bluff.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Nyssa   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Nyssa
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I would expect a Manti/Graysonite to say that the ship was designed to stand up to a Havenite attack. Therefore, I nominate Tourville's flag lieutenant (sorry, I don't remember her name) as the new destroyer captain. Remember, she was trained by Shannon.
Post by cthia   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:38 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Nyssa wrote:I would expect a Manti/Graysonite to say that the ship was designed to stand up to a Havenite attack. Therefore, I nominate Tourville's flag lieutenant (sorry, I don't remember her name) as the new destroyer captain. Remember, she was trained by Shannon.

I have to say this, though just for the record I know it isn't her, because she's an Admiral, but if it is a Havenite, I'd sure be tickled pink if was to be poor ole Admiral Genevieve Chin. With, alas, yet one more chance to get her groove and her confidence back.

Allow me to dream the impossible dream.

If I can't have Abby in a sane dream, that is.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by pappilon   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:15 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

To ressurect the flogged dead horse, what about those BF grazers they were thinking about using? one of those swanning around tractored to a drone can punch out a BC. Also my equally long shot: Hearken back to Obligated Service. Claire LeCroix. With the great holes int he Grayson Navy after OB, surely a well known and obviously motivated officer can move up the ranks. Not sure ho it fits with R&H ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

pappilon wrote:To ressurect the flogged dead horse, what about those BF grazers they were thinking about using? one of those swanning around tractored to a drone can punch out a BC. Also my equally long shot: Hearken back to Obligated Service. Claire LeCroix. With the great holes int he Grayson Navy after OB, surely a well known and obviously motivated officer can move up the ranks. Not sure ho it fits with R&H ...

No SL grasers and no LACs. At the crucial moment, she's on her own.

Oh, and no pods, either. :twisted:

And the RMN's practice is to design its ships to stand up to its own weapons and tactical doctrine (as much as humanly possible, at least) because they've been the biggest. baddest offensive machine around for like the last 25-30 years. Why design your ships to stand up to the second baddest weapons mix when you have complete specs on the baddest of the bad and can design accordingly? :roll:

In fact, the rule of thumb of all competent naval designers has been to design their ships to resist their own weapons because logic suggests that at the time they build the thing, it will be the newest ship in their fleet and probably (at least briefly) in the world. Hence its weapons are the standard its defenses have to be able to meet.

This is known as a logical consequence. :ugeek:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by kzt   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

This logic stuff is going to be the death of us all. :D
Post by phillies   » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm

phillies
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
pappilon wrote:To ressurect the flogged dead horse, what about those BF grazers they were thinking about using? one of those swanning around tractored to a drone can punch out a BC. Also my equally long shot: Hearken back to Obligated Service. Claire LeCroix. With the great holes int he Grayson Navy after OB, surely a well known and obviously motivated officer can move up the ranks. Not sure ho it fits with R&H ...

No SL grasers and no LACs. At the crucial moment, she's on her own.

Oh, and no pods, either. :twisted:

And the RMN's practice is to design its ships to stand up to its own weapons and tactical doctrine (as much as humanly possible, at least) because they've been the biggest. baddest offensive machine around for like the last 25-30 years. Why design your ships to stand up to the second baddest weapons mix when you have complete specs on the baddest of the bad and can design accordingly? :roll:

In fact, the rule of thumb of all competent naval designers has been to design their ships to resist their own weapons because logic suggests that at the time they build the thing, it will be the newest ship in their fleet and probably (at least briefly) in the world. Hence its weapons are the standard its defenses have to be able to meet.

This is known as a logical consequence. :ugeek:

I seem to recall that by the time the Montana was armored to stand up to its own guns, the result was a bit disappointing. Your mileage may vary.

Return to Honorverse