Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 131 guests

How was King David related to Elizabeth II in the Succession

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
How was King David related to Elizabeth II in the Succession
Post by LTArmstrong   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:17 pm

LTArmstrong
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I grant you this question goes deep in the weeds, on the Winton Royal Lineage, but it has been bugging me.

The question relates to the time frame of "A Call to Arms".

King Edward had two children, a son: Richard (who was Killed at the 1st Battle of Manticore) and a daughter: Crown Princess Sophie. King Edward also had a half sister Elizabeth, who does not appear to have had children of her own (Elizabeth did have adopted children from her husbands 1st marriage, but none of her own).

So the question is:

1)When King Edward died in 1544, his half sister Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II. Why did Crown Princess Sophie become Queen?

2)How is Queen Elizabeth II successor King David, related to Elizabeth II and/or Crown Princess Sophie?

Does anyone have a guess?
Re: How was King David related to Elizabeth II in the Succes
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:09 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Presumably, Princess Sophie died before or at the same time as King Edward I.

Elizabeth II obviously had a child of her own at a later date, named David.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

I guess that's an inadvertent spoiler for the next book in the Manticore Ascendant series...
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:55 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

munroburton wrote:Presumably, Princess Sophie died before or at the same time as King Edward I.

The monarch list for the House of Winton that is in _More than Honor_ mentions that Edward I died in a boating accident (presumably that killed his daughter at the same time). Or perhaps I should had typed "accident", because I have my doubts.
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:09 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:
munroburton wrote:Presumably, Princess Sophie died before or at the same time as King Edward I.

The monarch list for the House of Winton that is in _More than Honor_ mentions that Edward I died in a boating accident (presumably that killed his daughter at the same time). Or perhaps I should had typed "accident", because I have my doubts.

And so it is not once, but twice in Manticoran history that a reigning king was assassinated and succeeded by a woman named Elizabeth, and the paymasters lived to regret the deed...
Post by Phalanx   » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:14 pm

Phalanx
Commander

The fact that Sophie is not listed as a Monarch of Manticore means that she is also not long for this world.

As we learn in MA2, Manticore took an interest in its regional neighbors(like Casca) even before the wormhole junction is discovered. This indicates that the strategy of Strategic Depth had already begun with a complicated network of trade and defense agreements. This was necessary for a defense against future incursions from the likes of the Free Brotherhood which had harassed the the regions in the Pre-Plague years. This set the stage of Manticore as the effective protector of the region of single-system powers(even though a few were older than Manticore itself).

I think that David is Elizabeth's son by marriage to a character we meet in MA and/or MA2(NOT Travis).
_

Return to Honorverse