Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:58 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

roseandheather wrote:Um, fellas?

Pardon my moment of pure self-centeredness here, but I think y'all are forgetting one other, rather compelling reason to suspect that our mystery skipper is a Havenite.

She was mentioned, quite specifically, by RFC, as a character he thought I in particular would like.

And given that I'm known on these forums for being drawn to one star nation's characters in particular.... :mrgreen:

Rose, I'm sorry to say that your partiality for Havenites is not the only factor I have observed in your "THAT'S my girl!" quotient. Will you be too terribly upset if you find out she's not a Havenite . . . but she's still threatening a force 80-90 ships strong with a single DD?

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

Pardon my moment of pure self-centeredness here, but I think y'all are forgetting one other, rather compelling reason to suspect that our mystery skipper is a Havenite.

She was mentioned, quite specifically, by RFC, as a character he thought I in particular would like.

And given that I'm known on these forums for being drawn to one star nation's characters in particular.... :mrgreen:

Rose, I'm sorry to say that your partiality for Havenites is not the only factor I have observed in your "THAT'S my girl!" quotient. Will you be too terribly upset if you find out she's not a Havenite . . . but she's still threatening a force 80-90 ships strong with a single DD?

I need to get this book! E-Arc is coming when?

80-90 SLN ships? Ok, then a Roland is possible and still be way our numbered. This may be where Naomi gains her bona fides as skipper with big, bold ovaries.

Of course we can be introduced to another DD skipper. Either way, I WANT the E-ARC!
Post by munroburton   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:16 am

munroburton
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

I'm glad I wasn't sipping a beverage of some kind when I read that post! :lol:

That DD is going to run out of missiles if the Solly Admiral decides to press on. Although his flagship should be the first ship destroyed...
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:17 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

[

Of course we can be introduced to another DD skipper. Either way, I WANT the E-ARC![/quote]

And the congregation says "Amen."
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:12 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

HeHe - you got me there nicely RFC! :-)

I was just muttering to myself - "80-90 ships" - I dont remember that, who's been having too much coffee???

Fortunately I scrolled up to see who the audacious reptile was before I sent a repressive reply!!

I'm really looking forward to the book!!

[Edit] of course, this snippet may end up like the battle of Thermopylae... dead heroine carried home on shield

runs and hides
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

I DON'T CARE WHAT NATION SHE'S FROM SHE'S ALREADY MY FAVORITE PLEASE GIVE ME HER AS SOON AS BLOODY WELL POSSIBLE

(Okay, that's partly a lie. Her being a Havenite would be added bonus points but certainly isn't a requirement. Now please excuse me, I think my brain has been overloaded by awesome already and the book isn't even out yet - I think I need a lie-down.... ::retires to bed with fan and cool compress for forehead::)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by robert132   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:25 pm

robert132
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:Rose, I'm sorry to say that your partiality for Havenites is not the only factor I have observed in your "THAT'S my girl!" quotient. Will you be too terribly upset if you find out she's not a Havenite . . . but she's still threatening a force 80-90 ships strong with a single DD?

It's good to see you back RFC, causing us to scratch our heads as we try to follow the clues.

Whoever this young lady is, if she's playing tag against even "just" a squadron or division of BCs (even Sollie ships) with "only" a destroyer (even Manty or Grayson) I'd say she's ...

a) ... running a bluff (obviously) against the Flag Officer commanding that group, a single DD hasn't got the deep magazines her ship would need

b) ... got a pair of big BRASS ones (again obviously)

c) ... got something else going for her that we your readers don't know of as yet

I am very much looking forward to reading the full story Chief.

EDIT: I was thinking that if this young woman is Havenite then perhaps she's served under Lester Tourville during her young and most impressionable years.

Just my opinion of course and probably not worth the paper it's not written on.
Post by BobG   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:00 pm

BobG
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:

robert132 replied:
It's good to see you back RFC, causing us to scratch our heads as we try to follow the clues.

Whoever this young lady is, if she's playing tag against even "just" a squadron or division of BCs (even Sollie ships) with "only" a destroyer (even Manty or Grayson) I'd say she's ...

a) ... running a bluff (obviously) against the Flag Officer commanding that group, a single DD hasn't got the deep magazines her ship would need

b) ... got a pair of big BRASS ones (again obviously)

c) ... got something else going for her that we your readers don't know of as yet

I am very much looking forward to reading the full story Chief.

EDIT: I was thinking that if this young woman is Havenite then perhaps she's served under Lester Tourville during her young and most impressionable years.

Hmmm, a DD can take about 20 missile pods, each carrying 9 Mk 23 missiles and a Mk 23E (IIRC). Based on previous battles, 2 pods might be enough to take out a BC. Plot a course ahead of the enemy force, release the some of the pods, then travel more, release more pods, and when the BCs are in range, fire 2 or 3 pods at each BC. Should be sufficient for mission kill, given the past experience. The 20 pods might be enough to take out a squadron of BCs. Alternatively, a single pod should be sufficient for a Sollie lone DD or CL.

Using multiple launches instead of a single one is part of the psy-ops against the Sollies.

When the pods run out, delayed launch the Mk 16s.

And if the DD had enough time to launch the pods, get more pods, and return, ...

I assume that missiles can be controlled from directions other that "almost aft"?

I suspect that the mentioned DD is down to it's own tubes, and may be down to almost no anti-ship missiles, when the ultimatum is made.

Yes, I definitely want to read this ASAP! Thank you, David!

-- Bob G
SF & Fantasy: The only things better than Chocolate.
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

BobG wrote:Hmmm, a DD can take about 20 missile pods, each carrying 9 Mk 23 missiles and a Mk 23E (IIRC). Based on previous battles, 2 pods might be enough to take out a BC. Plot a course ahead of the enemy force, release the some of the pods, then travel more, release more pods, and when the BCs are in range, fire 2 or 3 pods at each BC. Should be sufficient for mission kill, given the past experience. The 20 pods might be enough to take out a squadron of BCs. Alternatively, a single pod should be sufficient for a Sollie lone DD or CL.

Using multiple launches instead of a single one is part of the psy-ops against the Sollies.

When the pods run out, delayed launch the Mk 16s.

And if the DD had enough time to launch the pods, get more pods, and return, ...

I assume that missiles can be controlled from directions other that "almost aft"?

I suspect that the mentioned DD is down to it's own tubes, and may be down to almost no anti-ship missiles, when the ultimatum is made.

Yes, I definitely want to read this ASAP! Thank you, David!

-- Bob G

A Roland, without affecting it's accel too adversely can only pull 15 self tractoring pods. A Star Knight can only do 25 self tractoring pods, while a Sag-C can do 40 before the Accel Creep starts.

The Chansons at Monica only pulled 5 or 7 each iirc.

BCs were destroyed with 120 Mk 16gs at Saltash, and 240 Mk 23Ds at New Tuscany. I would up your estimate to ~40-50 Mk23s (including penaid missiles)).
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Theemile   » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

We're Forgetting about Missile Toe - what if the DD in question has seeded the SLN formation with bunches of stealthed drones, and a couple Missiletoe drones. After mysteriously blowing up a couple BCs with the handful of MissileToe drones she actually has, the DD commander could flash the stealth systems of all the other drones she has stalking their formation, just enough to show there are enough drones to get "all yall" - even if those drones can't really do that (but the SLN doesn't have to know that....)
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Honorverse