Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 129 guests

Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Uncompromising way out of order snippet for Rose
Post by andrdahl101   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 am

andrdahl101
Midshipman

JohnRoth wrote:
Annachie wrote:Personally, my gut feeling is that it was a, damn memory, whatever that sector is tbat we're been shown planning a break away, ship.
Barragos...where Thandi was a Solly marine.

Except for Maya itself, everything in the Maya sector is named after a science fiction author: Sprague, Isaac, Poul, Murray, Randal, Edwin and Robert. According to the map I've got, there is no planet named Hypatia in that area of space. In fact, there is no planet named Hypatia anywhere on that map that I can see.

Hypatia System is mentioned in Shadow of Victory, Chapter 30.
The Hypatian Mountain Hound was produced there over a thousand years ago. It's possible that it is a Core System due to the age.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JohnRoth wrote:
Annachie wrote:Personally, my gut feeling is that it was a, damn memory, whatever that sector is tbat we're been shown planning a break away, ship.
Barragos...where Thandi was a Solly marine.

Except for Maya itself, everything in the Maya sector is named after a science fiction author: Sprague, Isaac, Poul, Murray, Randal, Edwin and Robert. According to the map I've got, there is no planet named Hypatia in that area of space. In fact, there is no planet named Hypatia anywhere on that map that I can see.
andrdahl101 wrote:Hypatia System is mentioned in Shadow of Victory, Chapter 30.
The Hypatian Mountain Hound was produced there over a thousand years ago. It's possible that it is a Core System due to the age.

Thanks! I figured it was probably the case, since my duties in the Sol system has thus far kept me from hypering into the SoV system.

Does this serve as a hint to our snippet dilemma?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Hypatia was where Jared Wu and the CL Cometary was stationed/sent in A Rising Thunder to recall all Manty merchantmen. It's 2 weeks away from Beowulf and likely a Core world close to the Shell. It was mentioned as not being a major trading hub for the SEM, but that is relative. Cometary was an older design, so its armed with SDMs. If this is a replacement DD, it's also an older design.

I still hold that this is a RHN unit sent out after Tourville joins the Grand Fleet. This may be an RHN unit cycling through the more friendly Core worlds relieving Cometary. Cometary may have already died, leaving this skipper to defend the system.

I guess that's where BF sent a detachment to quench any secessionist tinder before it catches fire. The mention of kids dying suggests a potential a mass casualty incident.
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:00 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

andrdahl101 wrote:
JohnRoth wrote:Except for Maya itself, everything in the Maya sector is named after a science fiction author: Sprague, Isaac, Poul, Murray, Randal, Edwin and Robert. According to the map I've got, there is no planet named Hypatia in that area of space. In fact, there is no planet named Hypatia anywhere on that map that I can see.

Hypatia System is mentioned in Shadow of Victory, Chapter 30.

Thanks for that - I was wondering that too.

I see that's your first post too - a v auspicious start, keep it up :-)
Post by Theemile   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:42 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Hypatia was where Jared Wu and the CL Cometary was stationed/sent in A Rising Thunder to recall all Manty merchantmen. It's 2 weeks away from Beowulf and likely a Core world close to the Shell. It was mentioned as not being a major trading hub for the SEM, but that is relative. Cometary was an older design, so its armed with SDMs. If this is a replacement DD, it's also an older design.

I still hold that this is a RHN unit sent out after Tourville joins the Grand Fleet. This may be an RHN unit cycling through the more friendly Core worlds relieving Cometary. Cometary may have already died, leaving this skipper to defend the system.

I guess that's where BF sent a detachment to quench any secessionist tinder before it catches fire. The mention of kids dying suggests a potential a mass casualty incident.

The storyline has moved on about 6-8 months from that point in ART. Chances are the Cometary left Hypatia following it's Laocoon I duties, and deployed elsewhere for Laocoon II. After the rumblings that BoMa II would take place, I doubt any CL was purposely left alone, anywhere in SL space.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:46 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Hypatia was where Jared Wu and the CL Cometary was stationed/sent in A Rising Thunder to recall all Manty merchantmen. It's 2 weeks away from Beowulf and likely a Core world close to the Shell.
I'd found that same passage (ART: Ch 2) - the only other spot in the books where "hypatia" appears. It's 2 T-weeks by freighter, so that should put it within 42 light years of Beowulf.

An unexpected place for SLN BC's to be up to no good; that doesn't exactly seem like the kind of frontier Verge systems 10th fleet's been saving from OFS 'intervention'.

Captian Wu appears to have already had orders to return home after a fixed (but not listed for us) period - "Hypatia wasn’t a major traffic node, and it was unlikely he was going to see a lot more Manticoran ships before his own orders took him home again, but still . . ." So I doubt it's Wu and Cometary that are playing tag with the BCs in this snippet.
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:56 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Hypatia was where Jared Wu and the CL Cometary was stationed/sent in A Rising Thunder to recall all Manty merchantmen. It's 2 weeks away from Beowulf and likely a Core world close to the Shell.
I'd found that same passage (ART: Ch 2) - the only other spot in the books where "hypatia" appears. It's 2 T-weeks by freighter, so that should put it within 42 light years of Beowulf.

An unexpected place for SLN BC's to be up to no good; that doesn't exactly seem like the kind of frontier Verge systems 10th fleet's been saving from OFS 'intervention'.

Captian Wu appears to have already had orders to return home after a fixed (but not listed for us) period - "Hypatia wasn’t a major traffic node, and it was unlikely he was going to see a lot more Manticoran ships before his own orders took him home again, but still . . ." So I doubt it's Wu and Cometary that are playing tag with the BCs in this snippet.

Wasn't their mention of another huge contingency of SLN ships flailing about somewhere?

For Jeopardy question #2...

"What is 'Where was that other SLN fleet? And could a detached prong of it have been the forces engaged at Hypatia?' "

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Wasn't their mention of another huge contingency of SLN ships flailing about somewhere?

For Jeopardy question #2...

"What is 'Where was that other SLN fleet? And could a detached prong of it have been the forces engaged at Hypatia?' "

If memory serves, we have only been told of 2 other active formations of the SLN. Tang's 100 SDs was based out of (and returned to) Hyperion 1 around Mars.

The 2d Manticore "Smash and Grab" force was forming up at the same place Filaretta's fleet did - the planet, Tasmania, is way out in the Verge, roughly in line between Sol and Manticore, about a month's military travel from Manticore. That 2nd force is ~600 SDs and is completely out of the game for the next 4+ months - the time it will take to get a message to them and get them to return to the inner core.

Other than that, there are still ~1200 other BF SDs wandering about the Core or undergoing maintenance which we don't know about.

It still gets me that 1/2 of the active and under maintenance ships in BattleFleet were directed at Manticore without anyone noticing.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Sounds like the destroyer skipper is using SDM at extreme range. Likely delaying the drives from lighting off to hide her location better. Warheads sound like they are quite a bit more robust than the ones the RN had in the first Manty War. They would need to be kill RMN combatants with fewer hits an RN destroyer would expect to score.

She is dancing at the edge of more than one BC's effective range and using her guile and EW to snipe at them. Cheeky one, she is. Great big ovaries too!

Never said she wasn't, either.
Yes, but couldn't they still be tracked back to their origin as Honor's missiles were in BoM from outside the RZ?

Post by Eagleeye   » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

After re-reading the confrontation between Captain Tremaine and Admiral Tamaguchi in SoV (Chapter 70 to 72), I wonder if the Vice Admiral Yountz in Tamaguchis staff is somehow related (after all, he can't be the same person, not after Tremaine dealt with them) to the Admiral Yountz who is adressed by whoever it is from the GA in the confrontation-snippet - and if the actions that the Admiral Yountz in these snippet seems to have been responsible for are some kind of revenge action, because his relative is now a PoW of Manticore ...

Return to Honorverse