Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Hubble Videos

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Hubble Videos
Post by sonex   » Sun May 29, 2022 2:40 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

I spent some time on the Hubble Telescope Twitter tweets and enjoyed one where the area being viewed started at an apparently nearly empty section of the sky. Very few galaxies and stars in that section. Then succeeding views looked further and further into space. The views stopped at somewhere around 13+ billion light years. Each view following the first had many galaxies and stars.
Soon we will have a new improved telescope in orbit. What will it see if it looks past 14 billion light years in this same direction :?:
I think the universe is infinite so further looking will see more and more galaxies and stars.
What do others think :?:
:geek: :mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by sonex   » Sun May 29, 2022 5:18 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Some of the other Hubble videos show galaxy clusters, probable circling a large black hole collecting smaller galaxies. I suspect when it consumes enough galaxies and their black holes, we will have a local Big Bang there.
With an infinite universe, there can be Big Bangs in many places.
What affect do these have on certain of our constants?:?: 8-) :shock:
:mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by sonex   » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:51 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Well, apparently no Amateur Astronomers here.
But if you spend some time perusing the Hubble Telescope videos, like I have done, perhaps you might wonder a bit about what you are seeing.

I have been curious for over 60 years about the nature of the Universe. The Big Bang was all the rage back then, and I had read a book by Poul Anderson (Tau Zero). The big concern was "is the Universe Open or Closed". The conclusion in the book was Closed.

Much science stuff since then has left me to believe:

1.The Universe is infinite in size and age (no beginning or end).

2.There are many areas where many Galaxies are circling something.

3.These galaxies are probably circling a big Back Hole.

4.Eventualy the Black Hole will consume these Galaxies and their Black Holes, resulting in a Very Big Black Hole (VBBH).

5.The VBBH will have a very strong gravitational field attracting other Galaxies.

6.Eventually VBBH will reach sufficient mass creating a Big Bang.

7.I expect there are Big Bangs going off many places in this infinite Universe.
:geek: :mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by Daryl   » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:15 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 3529
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

As the trend says, me2#.
Some people claim to have found flaws in Tau Zero's physics, but who knows or cares, great story.
Larry Niven's Known Universe has giant blackholes swallowing galaxies.
These stories led me to revisit my science degree physics, and I eventually rediscovered the beauty in those maths.
Just over a week ago I had the pleasure of mentioning the many implications of Relativity to my 15 year old granddaughter, and discovering a kindred spirit (who had worried about being a unique freak, as none of her friends had a clue).
I know that many on these pages just skip past, when being told that a Honorverse missile at 0.9 C, when impacting a planet may as well forget the warhead.
sonex wrote:Well, apparently no Amateur Astronomers here.
But if you spend some time perusing the Hubble Telescope videos, like I have done, perhaps you might wonder a bit about what you are seeing.

I have been curious for over 60 years about the nature of the Universe. The Big Bang was all the rage back then, and I had read a book by Poul Anderson (Tau Zero). The big concern was "is the Universe Open or Closed". The conclusion in the book was Closed.

Much science stuff since then has left me to believe:

1.The Universe is infinite in size and age (no beginning or end).

2.There are many areas where many Galaxies are circling something.

3.These galaxies are probably circling a big Back Hole.

4.Eventualy the Black Hole will consume these Galaxies and their Black Holes, resulting in a Very Big Black Hole (VBBH).

5.The VBBH will have a very strong gravitational field attracting other Galaxies.

6.Eventually VBBH will reach sufficient mass creating a Big Bang.

7.I expect there are Big Bangs going off many places in this infinite Universe.
:geek: :mrgreen:
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by sonex   » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:46 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Daryl,
Kudos to your granddaughter. I was the nerd/geek during my high school, nearly friendless, but I persevered! Now retired for 30 years and finely slowed down to a crawl.
Cheers
:geek: :mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by sonex   » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:06 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Check out Dr.Becky on You Tube Or twitter or Facebook. Up and coming Astrophysicist. Working on Large Black Holes. Just finished first 4 years of after graduation, now on another 3 year grant. :mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:26 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:33 pm

sonex wrote:Well, apparently no Amateur Astronomers here.
But if you spend some time perusing the Hubble Telescope videos, like I have done, perhaps you might wonder a bit about what you are seeing.

I have been curious for over 60 years about the nature of the Universe. The Big Bang was all the rage back then, and I had read a book by Poul Anderson (Tau Zero). The big concern was "is the Universe Open or Closed". The conclusion in the book was Closed.

Much science stuff since then has left me to believe:

1.The Universe is infinite in size and age (no beginning or end).

2.There are many areas where many Galaxies are circling something.

3.These galaxies are probably circling a big Back Hole.

4.Eventualy the Black Hole will consume these Galaxies and their Black Holes, resulting in a Very Big Black Hole (VBBH).

5.The VBBH will have a very strong gravitational field attracting other Galaxies.

6.Eventually VBBH will reach sufficient mass creating a Big Bang.

7.I expect there are Big Bangs going off many places in this infinite Universe.
:geek: :mrgreen:

? I don't quite understand. I'm an amateur astronomer and astrophotographer (my images don't look like pro images by a long shot), and on Cloudy Nights as well (not the same username, though).
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by Louis R   » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:49 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:25 pm

I suspect that sonex was assuming that we would rise to his bait if we were around :)

It might have been fun to use Shannon Foraker on Cloudy Nights - just to see how many others did a double take and responded 'wait, what???'

Shannon_Foraker wrote:? I don't quite understand. I'm an amateur astronomer and astrophotographer (my images don't look like pro images by a long shot), and on Cloudy Nights as well (not the same username, though).
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by sonex   » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:53 pm

sonex
Lieutenant Commander

Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Louis R wrote:I suspect that sonex was assuming that we would rise to his bait if we were around :)

It might have been fun to use Shannon Foraker on Cloudy Nights - just to see how many others did a double take and responded 'wait, what???'


And who are supposed to rise to my "not bait". These ideas I have been thinking since the late '50s. While I was part time at UCLA and working full time nights at the Missile and Space part of Douglas Aircraft.
I used to read Scientific American, then Science Newsletter.
We now are looking further and further into the past with JWST. I want to see what is just past the Deep Field shot. After all, one big bang then the Universe is only a theory. Let us see what happens in the next ten years. Put your thinking cap back on.
Cheers.
:geek: :mrgreen:
Honor Harrington and Safehold nut.
Top
Re: Hubble Videos
Post by Louis R   » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:35 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:25 pm

The Big Bang is only a theory?

Of course, so is Universal Gravitation. If you've worked for _any_ part of an aircraft company one would hope you've acquired at least a grudging appreciation of its theoretical character.

sonex wrote:
Louis R wrote:I suspect that sonex was assuming that we would rise to his bait if we were around :)

It might have been fun to use Shannon Foraker on Cloudy Nights - just to see how many others did a double take and responded 'wait, what???'


And who are supposed to rise to my "not bait". These ideas I have been thinking since the late '50s. While I was part time at UCLA and working full time nights at the Missile and Space part of Douglas Aircraft.
I used to read Scientific American, then Science Newsletter.
We now are looking further and further into the past with JWST. I want to see what is just past the Deep Field shot. After all, one big bang then the Universe is only a theory. Let us see what happens in the next ten years. Put your thinking cap back on.
Cheers.
:geek: :mrgreen:
Top

Return to Free-Range Topics...