Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

GOD EXISTS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by Imaginos1892   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1332
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:24 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

cthia wrote:GOD EXISTS

So you say. Present your evidence.

GOD DOES NOT EXIST

Prove it wrong.
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 14951
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Imaginos1892 wrote:
cthia wrote:GOD EXISTS

So you say. Present your evidence.

GOD DOES NOT EXIST

Prove it wrong.

Funny you should say that because I'm involved in personal research to do just that...

Beyond the Bible, personal faith and the fact that nothing from nothing leaves ... nothing.

Do remember that the burden of proof is upon the unrepented sinner.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:11 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 14951
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Imaginos1892 wrote:
cthia wrote:
GOD EXISTS

So you say. Present your evidence.

GOD DOES NOT EXIST

Prove it wrong.

cthia wrote:
Funny you should say that because I'm involved in personal research to do just that...

Beyond the Bible, personal faith and the fact that nothing from nothing leaves ... nothing.

Do remember that the burden of proof is upon the unrepented sinner.


And because "I AM" said so and that's the stone cold truth that'll eventually become hot as Hell.

.
Last edited by cthia on Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by Caliban   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Caliban
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 pm
Location: Wisconsin,USA

IMO, The real problem with "Holy Texts" is highlighted by the fact that they were written by humans, who in all probability had their own agendas in mind. Not to mention that they've been translated,re translated,re re translated etc. so many times from the languages originally used that some, if not most, of their original context has been lost.

Then there's the fact that they are all subject to interpretation by those who read them and tend to believe what is written unequivocally.

Does God exist? I believe so, but I cant give any unequivocal proof. As has been stated, it's a matter of faith.

What I do not believe in are organized religions. Not when said religions are responsible for more suffering and death than almost any secular organization that you might care to name.

But then, this is one of the points made by this series to begin with :)

Just my two bits....
====================================


"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A Fool speaks because he has to say something."
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 14951
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Caliban wrote:IMO, The real problem with "Holy Texts" is highlighted by the fact that they were written by humans, who in all probability had their own agendas in mind. Not to mention that they've been translated,re translated,re re translated etc. so many times from the languages originally used that some, if not most, of their original context has been lost.

Then there's the fact that they are all subject to interpretation by those who read them and tend to believe what is written unequivocally.

Does God exist? I believe so, but I cant give any unequivocal proof. As has been stated, it's a matter of faith.

What I do not believe in are organized religions. Not when said religions are responsible for more suffering and death than almost any secular organization that you might care to name.

But then, this is one of the points made by this series to begin with :)

Just my two bits....


Thanks for your two bits.
The Poor Widow's Offering
(Luke 21:1-4)

41And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 42And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing. 43And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury: 44For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.


Tears. Burning tears every time. More proof.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by Joat42   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am
Location: Sweden

Caliban wrote:IMO, The real problem with "Holy Texts" is highlighted by the fact that they were written by humans, who in all probability had their own agendas in mind. Not to mention that they've been translated,re translated,re re translated etc. so many times from the languages originally used that some, if not most, of their original context has been lost.

Then there's the fact that they are all subject to interpretation by those who read them and tend to believe what is written unequivocally.

Does God exist? I believe so, but I cant give any unequivocal proof. As has been stated, it's a matter of faith.

What I do not believe in are organized religions. Not when said religions are responsible for more suffering and death than almost any secular organization that you might care to name.

But then, this is one of the points made by this series to begin with :)

Just my two bits....

Regarding "Holy Texts", I do recommend people who like to quote the Bible in a righteous way to read up on the comparative analysis that has been done on the "Great Uncial Codices", especially the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Washingtonianus (aka the Freer Gospel).

There are some interesting discrepancies between them and the King James Bible which really well illustrates the tampering that has been done to some parts of the Bible (like Luke 24 which originally ended with the women being so afraid they told no-one that Jesus body was missing from the tomb).

I have no opinion on what people believe in, most people practice their faith to become better persons but religion is not the only way to better yourself. What I severely despise is people who use their religion to declare themselves better than people not of their faith or no faith at all, and what I hate with a vengeance is when they interfere with my life and in what I believe.

As someone said: "The difference between a true believer and a fanatic is that the believer will die for his beliefs but the fanatic is willing to let you die for his beliefs."

The above statement has been proven true on uncountable occasions throughout the human history creating untold deaths and suffering and unfortunately it's still happening today... :(

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.


Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by Caliban   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:27 pm

Caliban
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 pm
Location: Wisconsin,USA

Joat42 wrote:
Caliban wrote:IMO, The real problem with "Holy Texts" is highlighted by the fact that they were written by humans, who in all probability had their own agendas in mind. Not to mention that they've been translated,re translated,re re translated etc. so many times from the languages originally used that some, if not most, of their original context has been lost.

Then there's the fact that they are all subject to interpretation by those who read them and tend to believe what is written unequivocally.

Does God exist? I believe so, but I cant give any unequivocal proof. As has been stated, it's a matter of faith.


What I do not believe in are organized religions. Not when said religions are responsible for more suffering and death than almost any secular organization that you might care to name.

But then, this is one of the points made by this series to begin with :)

Just my two bits....

Regarding "Holy Texts", I do recommend people who like to quote the Bible in a righteous way to read up on the comparative analysis that has been done on the "Great Uncial Codices", especially the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Washingtonianus (aka the Freer Gospel).

There are some interesting discrepancies between them and the King James Bible which really well illustrates the tampering that has been done to some parts of the Bible (like Luke 24 which originally ended with the women being so afraid they told no-one that Jesus body was missing from the tomb).

I have no opinion on what people believe in, most people practice their faith to become better persons but religion is not the only way to better yourself. What I severely despise is people who use their religion to declare themselves better than people not of their faith or no faith at all, and what I hate with a vengeance is when they interfere with my life and in what I believe.

As someone said: "The difference between a true believer and a fanatic is that the believer will die for his beliefs but the fanatic is willing to let you die for his beliefs."

The above statement has been proven true on uncountable occasions throughout the human history creating untold deaths and suffering and unfortunately it's still happening today... :(


Thanks for this reference, Joat42... it is a thought provoking item. There's been commentary in other topics regarding missing/excluded books from the Bible in particular, and I'm almost positive that similar 'editing' has occurred in most religions, thus giving rise to the various interpretations of what is 'canon'.

And I do tend to believe ( there's that word again! :D )
that Heinlein had it right in 'Lazarus Long's notebooks':
" You cannot argue with a Fanatic; all you can do is kill him."

A drastic solution, and not necessarily one of which I approve. But a meeting of minds requires that both be open.If you will:

"A mind is much like a door; It tends to work better when it can be opened."

( Don't remember the origin of this quote, just the item itself)
====================================


"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A Fool speaks because he has to say something."
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by smr   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:47 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1522
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 pm

God exists!

What tooks us from inert elements to complex multi cellular life forms?

Now most wars are about resources, economics and power! We (humans) have used the excuse of God/Religion for wars to seize land and destroy other people.
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by Thucydides   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:48 pm

Thucydides
Captain of the List

Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 am

One alternative suggestion might be to read Scott Adam's book "God's Debris", which has a very different take on the God/religion thing.

As a personal preference, I like the King James Bible for scripture, mostly because of the rolling cadence of the language (which is the language of Shakespear as well).

YYMV
Top
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by DDHv   » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:21 am

DDHv
Captain of the List

Posts: 494
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:59 pm

Caliban wrote:
"A mind is much like a door; It tends to work better when it can be opened."

( Don't remember the origin of this quote, just the item itself)



What atheists don’t seem to grasp is that atheism is itself based on an act of faith: faith in the idea that there is nothing beyond our perceptions of existence. They have no more factual knowledge of what lay at the center of life than any of the religious acolytes they so fondly attack, yet their own hypocrisy is apparently lost on them.


From:

http://personalliberty.com/new-world-or ... ttle-soul/
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Top

Return to Free-Range Topics...