Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

GOD EXISTS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

GOD EXISTS

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:11 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Does God exist in your world?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:36 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Does God exist in your world?

Perhaps it is time for the moderator to create a religion sub forum to match the politics subforum, and move this discussion there.
For you Fortran programmers out there: God is Real, unless declared integer
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
cthia wrote:
Does God exist in your world?

Perhaps it is time for the moderator to create a religion sub forum to match the politics subforum, and move this discussion there.

A forum dedicated to religion would be nice. Until then, Free-Range means freedom to worship here and anywhere one needs ... except of course, in the one place it is mostly needed, in our bullet-ridden public school system.

And for us Linux programmers, the init process is the God process.

Post by Hutch   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:GOD EXISTS

Debatable. Possibly even improbable.

Not that I intend to debate it with someone who makes declarations as above--there is no profit to it.

I will state for the record that, IMHO, if a Supreme being is responsible for Creation of the Universe, He/She/It/They do not subscribe to any Earth-based religion, past, present, or future.

He/She/It/They may point and giggle now and then....

and I'm out.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:55 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Perhaps it is time for the moderator to create a religion sub forum to match the politics subforum, and move this discussion there.

cthia wrote:A forum dedicated to religion would be nice. Until then, Free-Range means freedom to worship here and anywhere one needs ... except of course, in the one place it is mostly needed, in our bullet-ridden public school system.

If we really want to start a religious war, how about a discussion on the benefits of emacs versus vi.
VI VI VI - the editor of the beast
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I cannot understand why one would be offended at another's claim that God exists, at another's claim to know God intimately. In this case, why is a lie more palatable?

When a Christain claims that God exists, he is satisfying a religious obligation he has to his God and a moral obligation he has to you.

If I am wrong and God does not exist, I have nothing to lose.

If you are right and God does not exist, you have nothing to lose.

If God does exist, I will survive that too.
What about you?

Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:Perhaps it is time for the moderator to create a religion sub forum to match the politics subforum, and move this discussion there.

cthia wrote:A forum dedicated to religion would be nice. Until then, Free-Range means freedom to worship here and anywhere one needs ... except of course, in the one place it is mostly needed, in our bullet-ridden public school system.

fallsfromtrees wrote:If we really want to start a religious war, how about a discussion on the benefits of emacs versus vi.
VI VI VI - the editor of the beast

But I do NOT wish to start a religious war. Just a friendly discussion.

I only speak Emacs. Emacspeak. I'm a slimeball that way. Emacs with Slime is the most powerful editor since whiteout.

Although Emacs, Slime and Lightsaber has to be what is used at Bolthole.

Edit:
Correction.
That is Emacs Slime, Lightsaber and Lisp.

With this combo I can finally make some administrative changes. Pinky, you are fired!

Last edited by cthia on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:35 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:I cannot understand why one would be offended at another's claim that God exists, at another's claim to know God intimately. In this case, why is a lie more palatable?

When a Christain claims that God exists, he is satisfying a religious obligation he has to his God and a moral obligation he has to you.

What about you?

I am not offended by someone claiming to know God intimately. I am offended when they move beyond claiming it to demanding that I believe exactly the same way that they do. Please Note that I am not attributing that behavior to you, but all too often in the history of the world, we have seen exactly that. It is what leads to the Inquisition, or jihad in the Islamic world, or the conflicts between Hindi and Sikh, or fill in your own. The belief that you and those you believe just like you have a moral obligation to force everyone else to believe the same way is what leads to most religious wars.
Deuteronomy 32:35 says "Vengeance is mine". All too many fanatics read this to grant them the right to mete out any punishment they feel is appropriate on behalf of God, and it is this attitude that I find offensive.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:52 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
cthia wrote:
I cannot understand why one would be offended at another's claim that God exists, at another's claim to know God intimately. In this case, why is a lie more palatable?

What about you?

I am not offended by someone claiming to know God intimately. I am offended when they move beyond claiming it to demanding that I believe exactly the same way that they do. Please Note that I am not attributing that behavior to you, but all too often in the history of the world, we have seen exactly that. It is what leads to the Inquisition, or jihad in the Islamic world, or the conflicts between Hindi and Sikh, or fill in your own. The belief that you and those you believe just like you have a moral obligation to force everyone else to believe the same way is what leads to most religious wars.
Deuteronomy 32:35 says "Vengeance is mine". All too many fanatics read this to grant them the right to mete out any punishment they feel is appropriate on behalf of God, and it is this attitude that I find offensive.

I understand. I agree.

There is no success in brow beating faith. God never intended it, or he'd brow beat us. What profit is in that for him ... or us?

Churches are perfect! The people within, are not.
Satan goes to Church too. It seems he is quite welcome in some. Why should Satan hang out in the street with drug-addicts, alcoholics, murderers and thieves? He already has them as fans.
Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Return to Free-Range Topics...