Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

GOD EXISTS

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: GOD EXISTS
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:36 am

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

biochem wrote:
What is relevant is that the New Testament is claimed to be divinely inspired and used to justify such crimes against humanity as slavery, and the subjugation of women.

The misuse of God or in this case misinterpretation of his word, to justify an individual's personal biases, desires etc is a very human failing. They do it with every other foundational document, the constitution for example. Therefore I would be a lot more surprised if people did NOT do this.

I wasn't arguing that only the New (or Old) Testament as been used for this purpose. My argument was that the Illiad and other books cited are not being used in that way, which makes subsequent editing of them less relevant to their status today.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by TN4994   » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:30 pm

TN4994
Captain of the List

fallsfromtrees wrote:
I wasn't arguing that only the New (or Old) Testament as been used for this purpose. My argument was that the Illiad and other books cited are not being used in that way, which makes subsequent editing of them less relevant to their status today.

I see what you mean and agree.
Homer's works are considered fantasy; Caesar's an opinioned record of his campaigns; The Bible, truth.
I wonder how many can see the fall of Neptune/Poseidon as recorded in the Apocalypse (revelation of John the Greek).
Post by smr   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:12 am

smr
Vice Admiral

God exists for me...Period!

In this context, what songs affect you spiritually. For example, John Michael Montgomery's Little Girl this song brings tears to my eyes almost every time I hear it for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons truly hit home in my soul for experiences that have happened within my own life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JxrYAumI-I
Post by Annachie   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:06 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

smr wrote:God exists for me...Period!

In this context, what songs affect you spiritually. For example, John Michael Montgomery's Little Girl this song brings tears to my eyes almost every time I hear it for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons truly hit home in my soul for experiences that have happened within my own life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JxrYAumI-I

God exists for me...Period!

Amen.

What a tearjerker. It reminds me of one that always teared me up. Also about a girl.

Tim McGraw's - Don't Take The Girl
https://youtu.be/-vn6QdqxK3g

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:08 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Hutch wrote:
cthia wrote:GOD EXISTS
Possibly even improbable.
Improbable is not impossible, statistically, in an open and infinite Omniverse, if it is not 100% impossible for something to exist, then statistically, it MUST exist somewhere, as there is an infinite number of tries for it to exist. Therefore God MUST exist. Stephen Hawking claimed, he doesn’t, stating that as you travel backwards toward the Big Bang, time slows down, until at the moment of the Big Bang time stops. Therefore (he claims) there is no Time for God to exist in. This of course is false, as it assumes that God is restricted to our perception of Time, which the Bible clearly states, he is NOT. It dose means that there is no time in which Big Bang could occur. So, by his calculation, the universe could NOT exist. Therefore the ONLY way the universe could exist is for there to be something existing outside our universe & perception of time, to cause it. So God must exist.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by MAD-4A   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:21 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

biochem wrote:The misuse of God or in this case misinterpretation of his word, to justify an individual's personal biases, desires etc is a very human failing. They do it with every other foundational document, the constitution for example. Therefore I would be a lot more surprised if people did NOT do this.
Not just this, but also the human mixing of fantasy and actual Biblical text. For example, the 7 deadly sins. Not biblical. These were made up by Dante. He claimed that among the 7 “deadly sins” is anger. The Bible clearly cites several instances where God becomes "angry", even destroying whole cities and the entire world except 1 family. This insinuates that God himself has “sinned” as he has committed 1 of the 7 “deadly sins”. We know this isn’t the case. So, anger is not a sin & Dante was an idiot. Yet people still cite him claiming its “from the bible”.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Mad, you made a big assumption there, and I don't think you realised it.
You assumed that it is impossible for God not to exist, thus invalidating the statistics you used to claim he must exist.
You should also double check your sins, as it is Wrath, not Anger, that is the deadly sin as listed in Proverbs. Even if the two terms are muddled by Dante. Poetic license no doubt to maintain structure and meter. (Have to look that up )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by The E   » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:00 am

The E
Admiral

MAD-4A wrote:Improbable is not impossible, statistically, in an open and infinite Omniverse, if it is not 100% impossible for something to exist, then statistically, it MUST exist somewhere, as there is an infinite number of tries for it to exist.

That's not really how statistics work. The possibility of a thing existing has nothing to do with that thing actually existing.

There's also the small fact that it is impossible to say how likely the existance of a deity is, despite what you, cthia, or anyone else says.

MAD-4A wrote:Not just this, but also the human mixing of fantasy and actual Biblical text. For example, the 7 deadly sins. Not biblical. These were made up by Dante. He claimed that among the 7 “deadly sins” is anger. The Bible clearly cites several instances where God becomes "angry", even destroying whole cities and the entire world except 1 family. This insinuates that God himself has “sinned” as he has committed 1 of the 7 “deadly sins”. We know this isn’t the case. So, anger is not a sin & Dante was an idiot. Yet people still cite him claiming its “from the bible”.

You're trying to catch people in rhetorical mistakes, but you yourself commit a number of them. You're saying that god can't have sinned "because we know this isn't the case". But, do we? All we know of god is what people who were directly influenced by him tell us; just as I wouldn't trust someone's friends to be honest about that person, neither would I trust the followers of a religion to be objective about whatever they're worshipping.
Post by MAD-4A   » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:10 am

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Annachie wrote:Mad, you made a big assumption there, and I don't think you realised it.
You assumed that it is impossible for God not to exist,
No - I expanded on his statement that it's "improbable", thus invalidating your counter :)

Annachie wrote:Mad, you made a
You should also double check your sins, as it is Wrath, not Anger, that is the deadly sin as listed in Proverbs. Even if the two terms are muddled by Dante. Poetic license no doubt to maintain structure and meter. (Have to look that up )
often stated as "Anger", they are commonly interchanged, anyway, it doesn't matter as the same statement applies. The Bible often states the "Wrath of God", thus "the sin of God" :?:
-

Return to Free-Range Topics...